.:[Double Click To][Close]:.
Get paid To Promote 
at any Location





Sunday, May 13, 2007

My new handbag

When I was a teenager, I'd get together with my girlfriends and we'd gossip about the latest TeenBeat magazine we read or the newest frosted pink lipstick we bought. As we moved through our 20's , the talk turned to the funky hip club we went to on the weekend or the cool restaurant we just ate at. Now that I'm in my 30's, I find that most of our conversations revolve around housing... what houses do we want, what houses have we bought, what renos are we going to do with our houses, what neighbourhoods do we want to live in. I love talking about my house just as much as the next person, but when did my little group of friends' fascination with all things 'house' take on the popularity of say, shopping?

I just met a great new couple this weekend. Junebug and Frisco seem to be young, vibrant people. They are soon to be married and just like HandyMan and I, they have bought a new house and are adding that to the wedding chaos. You would think that since we met a tasting at our shared wedding venue, we'd be comparing notes on guestlists, bridesmaid dresses, showers, and favours. Okay, we were but... most of the time we were talking tile, trim, and tearing down walls (which I love to do, by the way)! I guess, in some way, its to be expected... your wedding is just one day, but your house can have much more permanence.

Its kinda comforting too to know that others are in the same boat. I don't know much about 'keeping house'. I don't know how to tend a garden. I don't know how to check the furnace. And just like I can count on my friends to suggest which handbag goes with my outfit, I know who to turn to when I'm indecisive about paint colours.

No comments:

Post a Comment