.:[Double Click To][Close]:.
Get paid To Promote 
at any Location





Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Ghostly Collaboration in English Verse: Stevie Smith / Coventry Patmore: Magna Est Veritas


.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7e/Altes_Museum-Tanagra-lady_with_fan.jpg

Lady with blue and gilt garment, fan and sun hat: Tanagra, 325-300 BC (Altes Museum, Berlin; image by Capillon, 2008)



Magna Est Veritas


With my looks I am bound to look simple or fast I would rather look simple
So I wear a tall hat on the back of my head that is rather a temple
And I walk rather queerly and comb my long hair
And people say, Don't bother about her.
So in my time I have picked up a good many facts,
Rather more than the people do who wear smart hats
And I do not deceive because I am rather simple too
And although I collect facts I do not always know what they amount to.
I regard them as a contribution to almighty Truth, magna est veritas et praevalebit,
Agreeing with that Latin writer, Great is Truth and will prevail in a bit.




Florence Margaret "Stevie" Smith (1902-1971): Magna Est Veritas, from Not Waving but Drowning, 1957



http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/Bust_Attis_CdM.jpg

Bust of Attis as a child wearing a Phrygian cap: 2nd century AD, probably during the reign of Emperor Hadrian; portrait bears a resemblance to those of Antinous (Cabinet des Médailles, Bibliotheque Nationale de France, Paris; image by Jastrow, 2006)



Magna Est Veritas


Here, in this little Bay,

Full of tumultuous life and great repose,

Where, twice a day,

The purposeless, glad ocean comes and goes,

Under high cliffs, and far from the huge town,

I sit me down.

For want of me the world's course will not fail:

When all its work is done, the lie shall rot;

The truth is great, and shall prevail,

When none cares whether it prevail or not.




Coventry Kersey Dighton Patmore (1823-1896): Magna Est Veritas, from The Unknown Eros, 1890



File:Decebalus b.jpg
Decebalus, the Dacian king: rock carving on Trajan's Column, Rome, possibly by Apollodorus of Damascus, 113 AD (image by Bogdan, 2005)

No comments:

Post a Comment