.:[Double Click To][Close]:.
Get paid To Promote 
at any Location





Friday, January 29, 2010

Giving credit where credit is due

A word on my post from this morning.

Seeing that typing www.boughtonforct.com takes you to a blank page, finding the backdoor to Boughton's gubernatorial website wasn't an easy task. The home page of websites end with the index.html. In order to get to Boughton's site, you needed to know the particular folder where the site is temporarily stored...and in this case, the site was placed in a temp folder named "home." Finding a backdoor to a site is kind of like picking a lock and it took me about 30 minutes of brainstorming before stumbling upon the site.

Basically, finding the mayor's site takes a bit of knowledge of HTML web design and is something that a reporter wouldn't just stumble over (for credit, a commenter on the News-Times website leaked the admin page to Boughton's site last night (which was also posted on Facebook), but I found the site before the message was posted).

Although, I posted my write-up a little after midnight today (and around 3:30 AM on the my blog at the News-Times, lets take a look at News-Times reporter Dirk Perrefort's write-up from this morning (which was filed at 9:16 AM).
The development of a Web site under a domain registered last week by Mayor Mark Boughton declares that he will indeed enter the governor's race.

The site, www.boughtonforct.com, includes a welcome page that states "Mark Boughton for Governor, People over Politics." The Web site also has a link where people can contribute to his campaign.

On Thursday state GOP chairman Chris Healy confirmed that Boughton, a Republican who was recently elected to his fifth term as the mayor of Danbury, was seeking the state's top elected post.

[...]

Boughton continued to be evasive Thursday when asked about the latest developments, referring all questions to an announcement ceremony he has planned for Monday at the Stony Hill Inn in Bethel.

Things to consider:

1. No mention of yours truly being the individual who found Boughton's website.

2. There is no way the evasive comment from Boughton had nothing to do Perrefort questioning him about the existence of the website...because I found it first and posted my write-up online after midnight this morning (as in Friday morning).



Now, if you take a look at the upper and lower right hand corner of the screen shots of Boughton's site on Perrefort's blog posting he did AT 8:54 AM today and you'll see something very interesting.



Here, let me enlarge it for you...

Dirk_screenshot

1. Perrefort his the word "hatcityblog" in his search box.

2. Perrefort made this snapshot at 8:51 AM today...three minutes before he push the publish button on his post.

So lets recap:

  • Finding the backdoor to Boughton's website takes a bit of web design knowledge.


  • Dirk Perrefort is a reporter, NOT a web designer.


  • Perrefort does TWO stories on Boughton's gubernatorial website this morning (complete with screenshots fo the site).


  • A look at one of Perrefort's screen shots clearly has the words hatcityblog in the search box as well as a timestamp that indicates that he made the snapshot at 8:51 AM.

  • There is NO WAY Perrefort came across this website without learning about it by viewing my site first. Again, it wasn't like Boughton's site was out there in the open for everyone to see.

    Look, I'm not one to bash the News-Times...hell, they gave me a blog on their site so I know that read and respect my stuff. The only thing that pisses me off is when an individual doesn't give me the credit that I deserve. Lord knows I take GREAT detail in giving proper credit to any piece of work I link to this site. All I ask is the same courtesy...especially when other news organizations are quoting the News-Times as the media outlet that first reported on this story (which we all know is not true).

    -nuff said.

    (h/t to you know who for the heads-up)

    UPDATE: Thanks to WTNH's ConnPolitics for mentioning my post on Boughton's site.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment